Notes from a wandering minstral

Friday, July 07, 2006

7/7

A date we can agree on on both sides of the Atlantic. Just as we can agree that terrorism is bad and hurts people.

A moment of silence in commemoration of the bombings on the London Tube one year ago today





I like the London tube. My favorite tube memory is from the summer of 2004, when I was riding it back from Covent Garden and there was a yellow scarf on the seat next to me. The man sitting next to me asked if it was mine. I said no. He proceeded to ask the other people in the car, who said it wasn't theirs. He then asked if I'd like to have it. Scandalized, I said no: it didn't belong to me. The rest of the people in the car banded together to encourage me to take it, saying the person who lost it had probably given it up for lost. They pointed out that if I lost something on the NYC subway, I probably wouldn't go back to look for it. Eventually, they offered it collectively as a gift, which I accepted.

Two morals here. One is the generosity and the community of the London Underground, which I think the bombings did not ultimately damage.

The other is: if you lost a yellow scarf on the Picadilly Line in August 2004, could you please get in touch with me?

1 Comments:

  • At 3:48 AM, Blogger L'Écureuil said…

    if i found something on the new york subway, i wouldn't want to touch it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home